The Manager of External Affairs is responsible for the development and implementation of Mars Petcare communications strategies to promote and protect the company’s corporate reputation, profitability, brands, and competitive advantage. This position works across a diverse range of corporate and brand initiatives and programs and leads Employer of Choice and Executive Visibility communications strategy in line with business objectives.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or associated profession is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- 5+ years relevant professional experience in corporate or brand communications with proven success leading, developing, and managing communications programs.
- Proven success in leading communications across multiple brands and businesses is preferred.
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Agency and/or CPG experience a plus, as is background in media.
- Ability to travel
What would be your key responsibilities?
The Manager of External Affairs develops and supports strategies for creating and enhancing the company and brand image in line with our purpose: A Better World for Pets. This role develops communications intended for key external audiences and opinion leaders such as reporters in traditional and digital media, pet parents, industry group leaders and public officials. The Manager of External Affairs will help identify trends in the external and internal environment (risks and opportunities); have a deep understanding of the key drivers of reputation and use insights gained to formulate a comprehensive strategy for the multi-billion-dollar NA Mars Pet Nutrition business.
- Support strategy and planning for U.S. corporate reputation and brand programs
- Lead development and execution of Employer of Choice strategy
- Lead development and execution of Executive Visibility strategy
- Lead issues and crises communications with manufacturing sites; ensuring compliance with Mars Inc standards.
- Manage corporate digital portfolio/Social media
- Collaborate with Strategic Business Communications on Internal story telling
- Earned media outreach, maintaining local and national media contacts